HP Modular Smart Array
SAN - NAS - DAS - iSCSI - HP XP Disk Array Family - HP Enterprise Virtual Array - HP Modular Smart Array - Disk Drive Types - D2D and VTL - Tape Libraries - CASBusiness Value
Reduces the cost of building up to a 64TB consolidated storage array system while giving all the benefits of an enterprise-class SAN and also enabling near-online disk to disk backup.
The HP StorageWorks 1500cs Modular Smart Array (MSA1500) is a Fibre Channel storage area network (SAN) 2U controller shelf that connects to HP StorageWorks SCSI and/or Serial ATA (SATA) disk enclosures. Together they provide customers with a flexible low-cost, high capacity storage solution. The MSA1500cs has been designed as a hardware foundation for future solutions to ensure maximum investment protection. The MSA1500cs is perfect for those customers looking for less expensive storage solutions using HP SATA enclosures to store data that doesn't require a high degree of I/O performance and/or is viewed as non-mission critical to business operations. The MSA1500cs with up-to-eight attached SATA enclosures can provide the customer with up to 64TB* of native capacity. If the business requires enterprise-class SCSI reliability then attach up-to-four SCSI enclosures for a native capacity of 16.8TB.
By using existing SCSI drive enclosures, MSA1000 controller technology, and integrating low cost SATA hard drives and enclosures, the MSA1500cs lowers the total cost of ownership and protects the customer’s hardware investments.
*Note: maximum available storage capacity depends on the RAID level being implemented, and is based on maximum number of LUNs (32) and maximum LUN size (2TB).
Release of the MSA1500 HP-UX SAN Starter Kits designed specifically for Integrity and PA-RISC server customers.
Features & Benefits
- Increased scalability w/ SCSI drives - Gain increased SCSI capacity with the enterprise-class 300GB U320 SCSI drives now giving a total SCSI capacity of 16.8TB.
- Low Cost, Higher Capacity with SATA drives - For less than $.01 per/MB customers can obtain up to 64TB of capacity.
- Modular 2U Rack-Mount Disk Array Controller Shelf - Ability to attach SCSI and Serial ATA enclosures.
- RAID 6 with HP's Advanced Data Guarding technology (RAID ADG) 2Gb/1Gb Fibre connections to host - Highest level of fault tolerance ADG, allocates 2 sets of parity data across multiple drives while allowing simultaneous write operations. This level of fault tolerance can withstand 2 simultaneous drive failures without downtime or data loss. Ensures customer's 1Gb infrastructure by supporting both 1/2Gb FC fabrics.
- Hot plug expansion and replacement support - Hot plug expansion and replacement of hard drives, redundant controllers, for simple, fast installation and maintenance. Fans and power supplies are also hot plug replaceable.
- Integrated configuration and management tools - Uses a standard set of management and utility software. These tools consistently lower the cost of ownership by reducing training and technical expertise needed to install and maintain the MSA1500cs.
- Ability to upgrade from the MSA1000 to the MSA1500cs - Ability to move the MSA1000 controllers to the empty controller bays in the MSA1500cs while also upgrading the firmware. Provides greater scalability and flexibility with the added benefit of allowing the mixing of SCSI and SATA drives MSA1500cs.
- Mix of SATA and SCSI MSA1500cs - Ability to mix Serial ATA enclosures and SCSI disk enclosures behind the same MSA1500 controller shelf.