City of PowayCity of Poway "Virtualizes" its way to Better Service Delivery with Nth Generation & HP
“When we decided to upgrade and virtualize the City of Poway’s server infrastructure, we knew we needed a partner with a lot of knowledge and experience implementing HP’s innovative and best-of-breed products. Nth Generation proved quickly to be above all other vendors, making excellent recommendations for our project, then supporting us every step of the way!”
Brad Rosen, Information Technology Manager—City of Poway
The City of Poway, with a population of approximately 50,000 residents, is a unique community in Southern California. Poway is known as “The City in the Country” and prides itself on the fact that over half of the City’s 39.4 square-mile area is preserved as dedicated open space. The community offers an outstanding school district, a thriving business environment, a broad range of dining and shopping opportunities, 50 community events each year, and more.
Like many California municipalities, the City of Poway has been affected by budget cuts which resulted in a staff decrease of about 15%. At the same time, Poway’s city IT department desperately needed to upgrade outdated servers which were no longer actively supported and whose parts were scarce. The City had not yet implemented a true networked IT environment, and it also had numerous applications running across a variety of servers. The City of Poway’s IT team needed to centralize, consolidate and standardize systems in order to provide citizens with fast, reliable access to information and to increase employee efficiency.
Nth Generation-HP Solution at a glance
Nth Generation Services
• System Design; Project Management
• Consolidation Assessment and Planning
• Data Migration, System Implementation, Employee Training
• HP BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure
• HP ProLiant BL 460 BladeSystems
• HP Virtual Connect
• HP 4400 EVA Storage and Switches
• Microsoft SQL Server 2003 and 2005
• VMware with Physical to Virtual Migrations
• Retire old, power hungry products; move to space- and power-efficient systems.
• Move to a shared virtual network environment to increase employee productivity, ensure business continuity and rapid disaster recovery.
• Centralize applications (from permit processing to fire call tracking) with a common management tool.
• Upgrade systems to provide applications online for citizens.
• Deploy a scalable computing architecture to handle storage needs and allow for growth including an upgraded database system.
* Leverage Nth Generation’s extensive technical expertise, project management experience and training facilities to evaluate, develop, deploy HP solutions and train City staff.
* Create an Adaptive IT Infrastructure by updating the City’s datacenter with an HP c7000 BladeSystem and a HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array and VMware.
* Migrate Microsoft SQL’s robust databases to the new virtual environment and centralize all applications.
“Nth Generation recommended and implemented HP products that have noticeably improved the City of Poway. We now have four servers seamlessly running the City and we do not have to worry about 24 aging servers. Nth Generation not only provided these tools, but they also provided knowledge and training that allowed us to easily deploy the new technology ourselves, an extremely valuable service!”
Brad Rosen, Information Technology Manager, City of Poway
• The new HP BladeSystems allowed the City to reduce its physical server count from 24 servers to 4, yielding dramatic cost savings in power, cooling and floor space. HP EVA brought easy-to-use technology and provides for future growth in data storage.
• Virtual Microsoft SQL servers provide for a centralized database environment which seamlessly supports integrated applications.
• City workers have seen improvements in the efficiency and simplicity of the technology they use on a daily basis.
• Citizens of Poway now enjoy new online applications such as online water billing, business license renewal, class registration, etc., all accessible from the comfort of their homes, 24 X 7.
Contact Nth Generation by phone at 858-451-2383 or e-mail email@example.com to learn how your organization can reduce costs, increase efficiency and improve service delivery today!